The following highlights are from the January 22, 2013 Regular meeting of the District of Tofino Council. Formal minutes from the meeting shall be available in the February 12, 2013 Regular Council meeting agenda.
Copies of the complete agenda package can be downloaded from:
· Council adopted the District of Tofino Building Amendment Bylaw No.1811, 2012. The bylaw Amendment is to bring the existing District of Tofino Building Bylaw No. 940 2003 into conformance with the 2012 British Columbia Building Code.
· Council discussed the status of the Joint-Use Agreement between the School District 70, the District of Tofino and the Tla-o-qui-aht First Nations for the use of the School Gym.
o Council resolved to request to attend the next meeting of School District 70 as a delegation for the purpose of resolving the interim Joint-use Agreement.
· Council rescinded resolution #440-07 from November 26, 2007 regular meeting adopting the Water Utility Refund Policy; and endorsed the amendments to the Utility Bill Adjustment Policy as presented.
· Council authorized that the Utility Bill Adjustment Policy be applied retroactively in this instance only to the two properties owned by Dr. Hanton and Jim Gower, respectively.
· Council directed staff to review the letter received from Sun Peaks Resort Municipality to determine its implication to the District of Tofino; and Council directed staff bring this item to the agenda for the Resort Municipalities meeting to measure the support for this concept and to bring that information back to Council.
· Council amended the “Naming of New Streets, Land and Parks Policy” to include both Walter Douglas Busswood for his contribution to the development and growth of Tofino and Florence Busswood for her contributions as a business woman and the first hospital administrator of Tofino General Hospital; and Council directed staff to send a letter to the Busswood’s heirs outlining the actions taken.
· Council approved the change in signing authority to remove former Mayor, Perry Schmunk, and former CAO, Braden Smith, and to add Mayor Josie Osborne.
· Council scheduled a Town Hall meeting at the Community Hall for February 27, 2013 at 7:00pm.
· Council cancelled the scheduled January 25, 2013 Special Open Budget Meeting of Council and re-scheduled the Special Open Budget Meeting of Council for Friday, February 1, 2013 at 10:00 AM.
· Council authorized Councillor Baert, Anderson, McMaster, Mayor Osborne attend the Local Government Leadership Academy Forum to be held on February 20-21, 2013.
· Council resolved to pay the additional remuneration of $130.00 for Councillor Anderson and $65.00 for Councillor Thorogood.
· Council appointed Mayor Osborne as the Director to the Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District Board of Directors, and appointed Councillor McMaster as the Alternate Director to the Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District Board of Directors.
· Council substituted Mayor Osborne for Councillor Thicke on the CAO Search Committee.
RELEASE OF CLOSED MEETING INFORMATION
· Council authorized the contract with Graham Savage for the approving officer services.
· Council adopted the Manager of Resort Municipality Initiative Services job description with the amendment to include grant writing responsibilities.
· Council appointed Nyla Attiana as the Interim CAO for a period of up to six months following the departure of CAO Braden Smith.
ANNOUNCEMENTS, CORRESPONDENCE & DELEGATIONS
· Council received a presentation from Dr. Paul Hasselback, the Medical Health Officer for Central Island, regarding the Local Health Area Profile.
o Following the presentation, Council resolved to invite the Coastal Family Resource Coalition to attend as a delegation to provide Council with an update on their current projects.
· A Press Release was issued regarding the new organizational chart.
· Thursday, January 24th from 8:30AM -10:00AM at the Common Loaf Bakery the Tofino-Long Beach Chamber of Commerce held their Monthly Green Breakfast. This month’s discussion was on governance.
· Monday, February 11, 2013 is BC Family Day, which is a new Provincial statutory holiday. This holiday was created to give people a day off to spend with their families.
· Council received several items of correspondence which were received during the regular meeting, copies of which are available in the agenda package.
If you have questions or comments regarding any of the above items, please forward them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Regular meetings occur on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month at 10:00AM (next meeting is on February 12, 2013) and Committee of the Whole meetings are scheduled for the fourth Monday of each month at 6:00PM (next meeting is February 25, 2013) in Council Chambers.