Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Comment on Pay Parking

 I thought this comment deserved its own post:


I have lived in Tofino for a few years, and was always proud and eager to tell folks about what a great place it is....was.
The people of Tofino have always been it's biggest boosters just because they love it here. You hardly need a marketing strategy when the whole town is on board. This has been eroding for a few years. Super high cost of living, none existent housing options, high and increasingly higher taxes if you were able at some point in the past to buy a home. I could go on....Now they want to charge folks a parking fee to buy some groceries, or go to the skate park..I couldn't agree more with the previous two posters.

Even when the DOT started to charge for parking at the beach but gave me a pass, I felt like YA! We are all on the same team. Love this place. Willing to work for shit wages but someone respected that and gave me a break. Someone told me they were even thinking of giving out a little sticker, a display pass, for your window if you got the freebie pass. That is a cool idea. I want one of those. Lots would pay to get one of those to be part of the tribe.

What is happening when the folks like me who work here, resent the place and shit talk it. Right now Tofino deserves to be shit talked. I can understand now why folks who have lived her their whole lives are getting out,. town doesn't give a shit, and it is not because we don't have a rec centre. Rec centre? sure but I came here because of the Pacific Ocean, biggest rec centre on the planet. Tell me how I can afford to live here? Tell me that the Town gives a shit about people like me? It is clear we are definitely not on the same team.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've lived here for over three decades. When anyone asks me for local tips (where to stay? eat? shop? Spend their day?) I always tell them the same thing..... "The best thing about Tofino, nowadays, is Ucluelet. Take your family and get out of Tofino, they're lookin' to skin you."

Tourism Tofino, the major resorts, the DOT office, and their collective employees are doing great, raking in the cash. Everyone else is a servant, and is treated as such.

Tofino is not a nice place to live. Unless you happen to be a millionaire property owner with barrels of money. Most of us are not.



Anonymous said...

I believe that the mayor reads this blog. I'm wondering what's going on in his head when he reads this?
Dan, this is how the population is feeling about the place where they live. Isn't there something that could be done about it?
Seems like Brent and Aaron are not the solution. Instead of our community working together to address the issues, with staff leading the charge, we see a divided and confrontational group of self interests.... Residents vs tourists vs offshore vs downtown vs taxpayers vs businesses vs YOUR NEIGHBOURS!
Good luck with it. I don't really care, I'm leaving town. I no longer wish to be a part of this.

Anonymous said...

A little off topic, but will Ralph’s blog survive now that Bill C11 is law?

Anonymous said...

Mayor Dan tells everyone about how he walks to work. I imagine Mr Sustainability does as well.

But they both drive to the beach. What they are proposing is the same as someone who lives out by the beach telling them they need to ride their bike to the beach or pay to park.....I call the whole thing hypocrisy.

Anonymous said...

Mayor Dan tells everyone about how he walks to work. I imagine Mr Sustainability does as well.

But they both drive to the beach. What they are proposing is the same as someone who lives out by the beach telling them they need to ride their bike to the beach or pay to park.....I call the whole thing hypocrisy.

Anonymous said...

Tofino has amateur government at the helm of the ship.
We need to turn the helm hard if we’re ever going to get out of this.
It’s so backwards the mentality.
Critical thinking isn’t illegal yet……is it ?