CORPORATION OF THE DISTRICT OF TOFINO
COUNCIL REMUNERATION AND EXPENSE REIMBURSEMENT BYLAW NO. 1077, 2008
CONSOLIDATED FOR CONVENIENCE ONLY AS OF MAY 14, 2010
Up to Bylaw No. 1120, 2010
DISTRICT OF TOFINO
COUNCIL REMUNERATION & EXPENSE REIMBURSEMENT BY-LAW BYLAW NO. 1077, 2008
WHEREAS the Council is empowered to remunerate Council members for the discharge of the duties of office.
NOW THEREFORE the Council of the District of Tofino, in the Province of British Columbia, in an open meeting assembled Hereby Enacts as Follows:
1. This bylaw may be known and cited for all purposes as District of Tofino Council Remuneration & Expense Reimbursement Bylaw No. 1077, 2008.
2. Effective January 1, 2010, an annual indemnity shall be paid out of general revenue as follows:
i) Mayor $19,000.00
ii) Councillor $ 11,000.00
3. The annual indemnity shall be paid on a bi-weekly basis.
4. The annual indemnity shall increase on an annual basis commencing with the first full pay period in March using the previous year’s Consumer Price Index (CPI) rate for British Columbia as determined by Statistics Canada.
5. One third (1/3) of the annual indemnity amount shall be considered to be for expenses in the performance of their office.
6. The Mayor and Councillors shall be reimbursed for all reasonable travelling expenses incurred by them in the course of attending authorized meetings, conventions, seminars and for otherwise attending to the authorized business of the District of Tofino.
7. Overnight accommodation, transportation (other than use of personal vehicles) including ferry, taxi and air fares, parking, and registration fees for conventions and seminars shall be reimbursed at 100% of cost.
8. Reimbursement (mileage) for use of personal vehicles shall be set by policy.
9. Reimbursement of meals for out of town business shall be set by policy.
10. Meetings on Council business and all Council directed meetings, Committee meetings or other meetings will pay a per diem to be set by policy.
11. Mayor and Council are entitled to be included in the District of Tofino’s employment benefit program at the District’s cost.
12. Council meetings are to be attended by all Councillors. There is a two meeting absence for vacations and one meeting absence for sickness. If more than three meetings are missed then no further meeting stipends will be paid for missed meetings.
13. Each Councillor will be allotted a $500.00 discretionary budget to attend meetings benefitting (sic)the District outside the District without Council’s specific authorization.
14. District of Tofino Council Remuneration & Expense Reimbursement By-law No. 750, 1997 and any amendments thereto are hereby repealed.
READ a first time this 16th day of September, 2008 READ a second time this 16th day of September, 2008 READ a third time this 16th day of September, 2008
ADOPTED by Council this 14th day of October, 2008
John Fraser, Mayor Braden Smith, Interim CAO
I hereby certify the foregoing to be a true and correct copy of Bylaw No. 1077, 2008 cited as District of Tofino Council Remuneration & Expense Reimbursement Bylaw No. 1077, 2008 as adopted by Council this 14th day of October, 2008.
Braden Smith, Interim CAO