I still cannot understand how the District of Tofino was measuring the temperature of the sewage discharge instead of the volume ?? As is noted below the permit requires that the flow be measured and recorded daily.How could this go unnoticed on the first day that there was an error ? How could it go unnoticed for months ?
What I also cannot understand is why Council is seemingly unconcerned with this debacle ?
From:MINUTES OF THE DISTRICT OF TOFINO COMMITTEE OF THE WHOLE MEETING
HELD IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBERS
MONDAY 22-OCTOBER-2012 AT 6:00 P.M.
Tofino Sewer System Background
• Tofino’s first sewer main and outfall was down Fourth Street
from school to breakwater at harbour.
• Serviced all of the properties within gravity accessibility.
• Installed in 1972 by Federal Government as part of
Wickaninnish School project.
• October 1984 present discharge permit PE 07058 issued for
new sewer system to service entire district includes outfall
locations at Cedar Street and First Street discharging into
• This sewer infrastructure was funded by 11,000,000 Tourism
Conditions of Permit PE 07058
• Discharge of effluent from Cedar and First street comminutors
to Duffin Passage to a depth of 34m.
• Maximum discharge 3800 cubic meters per day.
• The characteristics of discharge to be typical of preliminary
treated municipal sewage and typical fine screened fish
• The authorized works outfalls, diffusers, bar screens and
comminutors to be operational from permit date forward.
They are required to inspected and maintained in good
• No waste is to bypass the approved treatment process.
• Pipeline to be posted above the high water mark.
Conditions of permit PE 07058
• Outfalls lines to be inspected annually.
• Provisions for future disinfection.
• Based on Receiving Environment Monitoring additional
treatment could be required.
• Solid waste from system to be disposed of by ministry
• The system to be operated by an operator certified by the
• The flows are to be measured and recorded daily in a 24 hour
• Receiving Environment Monitoring Program to established
and carried out in accordance with Ministry accepted methods.