Town Hall Meeting on Recycling
Thursday June 19
7:00 pm to ~8:00 pm
Tofino Council Chambers
Recycling and solid waste (aka garbage) pickup and disposal are managed by the Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District (ACRD). The current contractor for Tofino and Ucluelet recycling and waste pick-up and transfer is Son Bird Refuse and Recycling.
Changes to the residential curbside recycling program on the West Coast began May 19, 2014 as a result of a new agreement between the ACRD and Multi-Material BC (MMBC). While there are many positive changes in the program (such as new items being picked up that were previously not), there is some confusion and frustration. Therefore, Son Bird Refuse and Recycling has offered to host a Town Hall Meeting to explain these changes and let us know how we should best be using the current program.
Please come on out to learn more about the recycling program on the West Coast and give your feedback. Residents and business owners are welcome.
In addition to the Son Bird owners (Chris and John Bird), Dan Harrison from the Raincoast Education Society will be present (the RES is contracted by the ACRD to do recycling education) and I will be there too, as your political representative to the ACRD. We will all try to answer your questions as best we can!
Some good links to take a look at before coming to the Town Hall meeting are:
- A good, short video from Shaw about the MMBC changes in Port Alberni (very relevant for Tofino and Ucluelet): http://youtu.be/yCeyzX0xdTs
- A slightly longer video also from Shaw Cable, well worth watching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So5qJwFGEqM
- An informative recycling website for Tofino and Ucluelet: www.westcoastrecycling.ca
- Multi Materials BC website: http://multimaterialbc.ca
- A PDF of the current list of materials accepted in blue boxes: http://westcoastrecycling.ca/sites/default/files/content-images/WCR%20Info%20Sheet%20Double%20Sided%20-%20FINAL.pdf
- The ACRD's Solid Waste Management Plan: http://www.acrd.bc.ca/solid-waste-management-plan
Josie Osborne | Mayor | District of Tofino | 121 3rd Street, Box 9, Tofino BC V0R 2Z0
Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.
This e-mail is confidential and is intended for the above-named recipient(s) only. Any unauthorized use or disclosure of this e-mail is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and securely destroy the communication. The District of Tofino is subject to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.